The Academic programs of the Institution are in tune with the goals and objectives and the curricula adopted address to the needs of the society and have relevance to the national and global trends.
access to the disadvantaged students belonging to scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, backward classes, differently challenged, women, minorities etc. is ensured by providing reservation to these categories as per the NTR UHS / Govt. norms.
Equal opportunity is given to the students to participate in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Equal opportunity without any gender discrimination.
Bridge courses along with orientation programs are conducted to fresh students with special emphasis to those from rural background to solve their adjustment problems and fear psychosis to ensure equity.
Remedial programs to identified students by taking extra classes to improve their academic performance.
Building oneness among students irrespective of region or religion.
The oneness among the students is instilled by prescribing the uniform to all the students in the college. The dress code in the form of uniform brings oneness among different strata of students. This is one of the very few Dental Colleges in the country to have ‘dress code’ to impart discipline.
The students are encouraged to make the optimum use of the available student services for self-development. The students have access to the following to name a few:
- A Central Museum
- well equipped library
- Central computer centre
- Internet facility\Laboratories
- Counseling centre
- Remedial coaching
- Sports and games
Community and National Development
Value added topics are covered to provide global competencies
- Community based research (fluorosis)
- Health camps in the neighboring villages
- Dental health check-up in schools
- Sensitizing the neighborhood on dental health care.
The significant role played by the Institution in capacity building of dentists to cater to the needs of the society, contribute to the national development.
Ecology and Environment
Ecological and environmental realities are focused to realize pollution free climate.
- Along with the skill development, the institution gives utmost priority in inculcating the desirable value system among the students.
- Appropriate values commensurate with social, economic and cultural realities are focused to inculcate respect and tolerance to various diversities.
- Universal values like truth, righteousness, cooperation and mutual understanding are emphasized and practiced to bear a life long impression.
Career counseling and placement cells are constituted to assist the students in employment.
In order to match to the performance of global level, adequate efforts are made to use ICT in Teaching – Learning, research and administration. The shift of emphasis to the use of ICT from traditional methods is remarkable in this institute.
Global and National Demands
This institution caters to the global and national demands in sensitizing and motivating the people on issues like AIDS Awareness, Pulse Polio and immunization programs in protecting the social climate and environment.
Every department is having a Curricular Committee with 4 to 5 members with HOD as the Chairman. This committee acts as a shadow (parallel) BOS for the department.
- At the time of giving introduction to every subject, initial classes are allotted for teaching ethics.
- Wherever the curricula can be supplemented, value added component of ICT is included for equipping the student to compete on global level.
- There is a tremendous shift in all surgical interventions through ICT initiatives.
- The curriculum provides innovations such as field exposure through camps, school health programs, health workers training programs etc.
- The PG students have an orientation program at the beginning of their course which includes the basic instructions in research methodology, bio-statistics and clinical research.
- An orientation program is conducted for UG students at the beginning of the course.
- The college council discusses the curricular plan in detail including co-curricular, extra-curricular and extension activities of the college at the beginning of the academic year.
- To overcome the constraints of following common syllabus in the affiliating system, certain value added aspects are incorporated in the syllabus which are either useful to the students or cover latest developments.
Problem Based Learning
Problem based learning is a regular practice adopted by all the departments.
- A problem is posed to a group of students and its diagnosis and treatment is invited.
- The students are made to think based on their theoretical and clinical knowledge to arrive at a probable solution.
- This practice gives the students the capabilities of thinking and analyzing various types of cases in an analytical manner.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
ICT is included in the curriculum, for equipping the students to compete in the global employment markets
Innovations in technology have led to spectacular advancements in modern dentistry. Multi-disciplinary aspects assume greater relevance in the emerging global scenario. The curricular aspects in the college focus to understand the bridging of medical science with technology.
The curriculum is designed integrating teaching – learning through the usage of computers and Information and Communication Technology. Wherever the curriculum is short of requirement or can be supplemented, value-added component of ICT is included for equipping the student to compete on global level. There is a tremendous shift in all surgical interventions through ICT initiatives.
The Institute has up-to-date computer facility.
Computer facility is used extensively for teaching – learning process as well as administration.
All the departments have self-learning material like Video of surgeries, clinical photographs, Images of X rays etc. on CDs. The help of EDP section & MET Department is available for preparing material such as:
- Power Point presentations of theory classes
- For making charts and graphs for teaching
- For storing clinical data and clinical photographs which are used for preparing seminars and articles for publication in journals
- Material for remedial classes
- Modules on additional curriculum.
The central computer centre coordinates the inputs of the departments in preparing teaching materials. The centre, together with the help of EDP section and MET department, assist the departments in preparing teaching materials.